Monday 12 May 2014

How I Deal With Stress & Anxiety

Yesterday's post was quite heavy hitting so today I thought I would do something a little bit more light hearted for my sake and yours. I'm the ultimate stress head and worrier (anxiety). Over the months I was being treated I learnt many ways of how to control and cope with my symptoms so I decided to share a few with you.

The Blob Man Tree

First things first, look at this tree of blob men (there's a link to download it below). You may recognise it as it seems to be quite well known online. 

(Download it here Blob Man Tree)

I was introduced to this at the start of my confidence building course through Sure Start. The idea is to colour in the blobs you best feel describe your feelings at the moment. For example, the man hanging on by a branch could symbolise your insecurity or the man facing the wrong way could show loneliness. You colour in as many as you want to show your feelings, but each man could symbolise something different to different people. I found it helpful as it was a way to get my feelings down on paper without going too in depth. Once I had completed the course, I had to colour another in - and it was very different. Some of them were the same like the man reaching out (it showed 'help me!' for me) but I also had added a man at the top on the shelf because I felt like I was half way on my journey to being at the top and happy again. 

It may be worth doing one of these every now and again so you can get a good look at how you're doing and access certain parts of your life that may be making you unhappy.

Hot Bubbles

This is baths of course. Everyone loves a good bath (or shower). I know this point is pretty self explanatory but we forget sometimes how therapeutic hot water can be for us. It relaxes our muscles and gives us time to think (or if you're anxious - time to forget everything). I recommend Radox Stress Relief. It's only about £1 but it does work. My mum has had Radox in the house for as long as I can remember... 


Loud, Loud Music

I never really took to classical or whale songs to relax myself. When I'm feeling stressed I tend to whack on a bit of heavy metal or pop punk just so I can dance around like a loony and sing all the words. It does make me feel a hell of a lot better, especially if I have seen the band live (it takes me back to the moment). Dexter loves his rock music too now, so he doesn't mind having a little dance with me. At least at home nobody can see rubbish moves.  Haha. Apart from rock music I love Patrick Wolf; his voice just soothes me if having a good dance doesn't work - try Wind in the Wires or Stars if you're curious. 


Join Happier

Some of the best advice I ever received was to write three positive things down every single day. It can be anything like 'being able to hang the washing out in the sunshine' or 'the baby went to bed well' - just anything at all that made you feel good. If you do this every day you'll start to feel more positive about the days ahead. Slowly as I was starting to become more positive, my three 'daily happy notes' were become better. I look back at the book now and the first months were very generalised things like 'I cleaned the house'. But then towards the end of them it became things like 'I feel good about myself' - that is a big step to take when you have depression. As many of you may know. 


If pen and paper aren't your thing visit Happier.com (there's an app too!). There you'll be sent notifications so write your 3 happy moments, you can also share them with the world and view other peoples. Happiness all around basically!

And if all else fails...

I go and complain to my mum and get a big cuddle. I know some people may not be as close to their parents as I am, this may not be out of choice but anyone close to you can make you feel better. This can be by just listening to what you have to say - or even just giving you a hug. The amount of times I've ranted in text messages or over the phone would top the scale. But ears are there to listen - even if it is about how annoyed or upset you are.


If it's having children and not being able to cope that is making you upset then there's nobody better to ask than your mum or close family member. They've seen, felt and heard it all before so they'll be able to give you the best advice.

There is loads more I could put on this list such as breathing and sitting in the dark but I'll leave it at that and ask:

How do you cope with stress or anxiety?





No comments:

Post a Comment